Entry Level Driver Truck Driver Training Certification is awarded to courses at truck driver training organizations. To earn certification for their course, schools must demonstrate how they meet PTDI's high quality training standards.
Not only is PTDI widely recognized as the gold standard, it was used by the FMCSA as a primary basis for the new ELDT requirements.
Get started by completing the Certification Application
That means, if your program is PTDI certified, will meet the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration's ELDT regulations. The FMCSA requires all truck driver training program to be listed on the Training Provider Registry. Being PTDI certified means you will be on the approved list.
Download the PTDI Certification slide deck
Read below for details about the standards, process, fees, deadlines, the certification profile visits, and additional resources.
PTDI has developed state of the art truck driver training standards by bringing together schools, carriers, insurance providers, safety groups and other truck industry stakeholders. Ours is the first industry and government-recognized curriculum and certification standards.
The Entry Level Driver
standards are comprised of three distinct documents which work together
to provide a framework for training programs and basis for
==> Purchase the complete set of PTDI Entry Level Driver Training Standards in our store. If you apply for certification you receive a credit back for the cost of purchasing the standards.All schools with certified courses have access to resources, including the most current version of the standards, through their PTDI account. Certified courses can access the secured content here.
It is highly recommended you review the standards thoroughly. Purchase the standards along with other certification resources in the PTDI store. Courses are evaluated based on the standards. The process requires a training organization to provide evidence that demonstrates the course meets the requirements in the skill, curriculum and certification standards.
Complete the Certification Application
Create your Certification Profile to tell us about your course
Welcome a site visit to see your course in action
If applicable, remedy any gaps identified during the process
The certification process consists of five stages. The application (initial only), certification profile, visit, review and recertification.
1. APPLICATION - online app is required for initial certifications only.
2. CERT PROFILE - complete each of the 9 profile sections, providing the details about your course.
3. VISIT - PTDI visits your course (Initial cert requires a physical onsite visit; Recerts can be physical or virtual visit)
4. REVIEW - The profile and visit are reviewed by the PTDI Certification Commission.
5. RENEWAL - Renew your certification each year by updating your profile and submitting the annual fee. Every 5 years a visit is required for recertification.
Earn and maintain certification using the Cert Profile. The Profile walks you through each question and item that needs to be documented for PTDI certification. This streamlined process makes it easier to demonstrate how your program meets the standards and quicker for the Certification Commission to review and award certification.
The Certification Profile provides resources for your training organization to develop effective operations. Forms are provided as you need them.
These forms and documents are used in the certification profile. Access includes a breakdown of what's required in the Cert Profile. If you apply for certification you receive a credit back for the cost of purchasing the resources.
All schools with certified courses have access to resources, including the most current documents and forms, through their PTDI account. Certified courses can access the secured content here.
- There is an initial certification fee due with your application.
- Discounts are offered for multiple sites and multiple courses. Certification fees are non-refundable.
ANNUAL RENEWAL AND RECERTIFICATION
- An annual fee is required to maintain certification. Pay your renewal through the PTDI store.
- Annual fees include a virtual visit during 5 year recertification. There is an additional for for a physical on site visit.
CERTIFICATES AND SEALS
- Certification standards require each graduate of a certified course receive a PTDI certificate or seal
- PTDI certificates or seals affixed to your certificate are purchased directly from PTDI ($7.30 each)
- Additional PTDI gear such as decals for trucks can be purchased through the store.
You can apply for certification at any time. There is no guarantee when certification will be determined. Time frames vary depending on a number of factors including:
- how quickly and thoroughly the Certification profile is completed
- When the site visit can be scheduled (Note: The visit is scheduled AFTER the certification profile is complete and has been reviewed by PTDI)
- Gaps found during the review of your Profile and the site visit may require additional time for the training organization to resolve.RECERTIFICATIONS
KEY DATES FOR INITIAL CERTIFICATION, RENEWAL AND RECERTIFICATION
PTDI coordinates deadlines based on your certification group (cert group). This is the anniversary of your original certification (unless a custom change has been assigned).
A reminder to update your profile and pay the annual fee is sent each year based on the cert group schedule.
A site visit is required before certification of your course can be determined. The purpose of a visit is to:
Download the site visit slide deck.
It is highly encouraged to review the slide deck. It includes details about site visits, what you will present and a preparation checklist.
The Certification Profile must be approved by PTDI before the visit can be held. After the Profile is approved, a pre-visit call is scheduled to determine the visit date.
Whether a physical onsite visit or virtual visit, the school must secure an independent, qualified mechanic to conduct the FMCSR Level 2 inspection of vehicles. Instructions will be provided by the PTDI site visit team.
- Initial certifications require an onsite visit.
RECERTIFICATION - Choose between a physical onsite or virtual visit for five year recertifications.
- Onsite visits strongly encouraged when a course needs additional support to meet standards and/or is not comfortable with the visit technology.
- A virtual visit can be selected if the course is certification ready programs and the organization comfortable with the technology required to conduct the visit.
The best resource regarding certification are the standards themselves. Additionally you can:
- Download the Certification slide deck
- Download the Site Visit slide deck
- Review answers to frequently asked questions
- Learn more about Certification versus Accreditation
- Purchase the standards and other resources
- Contact PTDI if you have questions